So, you just updated your beautiful Windows Phone device with Mango and you want to create a custom ringtone. Well, you can use any music file you want, if it fits the following requirements
- 39 seconds or shorter
- smaller than 1 megabyte (MB)
- saved in MP3 or WMA format
- not copy-protected (i.e. DRM free)
Of course, your favorite songs are over 39 seconds. I found this great online service (no need to download anything to your PC) to cut an mp3 file. It’s called “MP3 cut” and it’s URL is http://mp3cut.net/ (however, you can use any online or offline software you wish)
Let’s check the procedure.
1. First, you select to upload your favorite mp3 file
2. After a few minutes (even more, if your song is lengthy) you will presented with the following screen
3. Simply select the part of the song you want (you can even preview it!) and…
4. Click Split and Download!
5. Download, save the file and open Zune. It’s time to add the file to your collection (you can use a simple drag and drop operation to accomplish that). When you add it, find it (if you have lots of music, try the search box on the upper right of the Zune software). Then, right click on the song and select “Edit”. You will be presented with a screen with the metadata of the song. The only thing you need to do is click on the “Genre” option and select “Ringtone” as the Genre. If you can’t find a Ringtone genre, just write it yourself.
6. Last, sync the song with your device, go to settings, ringtones + sounds and the song you added will be on top of the list (on the “custom” section). You’re done!
Don’t forget to check kids' apps for WP7 that I have co-developed here: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/search?q=anlock